European Hospital & Healthcare Employers’ Association

CLAE

Commission of Local Authority Employers
Finland
View Website

Commission for Local Authority Employers

The Commission for Local Authority Employers – CLAE (or Local Government Employers – LGE / KT Kuntatyönantajat) is the Finnish member of HOSPEEM. CLAE has been functioning since 1970, representing all Finnish local and joint municipal authorities.  Finland has 317 municipalities and 125 joint municipal authorities. These local authorities employ about 429 000 employees, a fifth of Finland’s employed labour force. More than 80% of all local government personnel work in the health care, social services and educational sectors.

CLAE (or LGE) is an interest organisation for local government employers representing all Finnish local and joint authorities. It negotiates and concludes collective agreements in the local government sector. CLAE has a key role in improving performance and the quality of working life. Municipal public health work is the foundation of the Finnish health system. Hospitals run by joint municipal authorities provide 95 per cent of all specialist medical care and the remaining 5 per cent is provided by the private sector.